Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Great Dismal Swamp

This morning I left Norfolk at 7:00 AM so that I would get to the draw bridge across the Elizabeth river that opens at 8:30 AM (after rush hour).  After I went through I almost missed Deep Creek that leads to the Dismal Swamp Canal.  I got a great picture of the sign!  At the entrance to the canal there is a lock, another first!  The lock lifts the boats 8'.  I locked through with 3 other sailboats.  When doors opened to head into the canal the heavens let loose, boy did it come down.  There is a draw bridge a mile ahead, that the lock tender must also open so we went slow to give him time to get to the bridge. the speed limit on the canal is 6kn and I notice that I was slowing down, I just happened to look back and discovered why!  the dinghy was half full of water.  I had to stop twice to bail it out.  I have stopped in North Carolina at a Visitor center.  It is actually for the highway that is along the canal but they have a 150ft bulkhead for boats to stop.  There 9 boats here tonight.  I have more pictures but for some reason they will not load.  I will try again tomorrow.

Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment