Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Moon River, GA to Jekyll Island, GA

The last two days have been about putting some miles under the keel.  Yesterday it was overcast and cold.  The wind in the morning wasn't too bad, but as the day progressed the wind built.  We had to cross several sounds where the current was opposed to the wind, very uncomfortable.  Candy was a trooper through it all, and it was relentless all day.  When we anchored for the night the wind didn't quit.  My new anchor held through the night.  I set the anchor alarm on the GPS so I would know if we dragged.  Today the wind was moderate so I was able to roll out the jib to help us through the areas where we had adverse current.  We didn't take any pictures yesterday.  Today we took a few, by far the best is the first one of me using my pocket knife to peal my orange.  I know the lunch room gang would like that!




This next picture is of St. Simon light house at the St. Simon inlet to the Atlantic.


The last picture is of the club house on Jekyll Island.  You may know this island was at one time an exclusive retreat for the old Robber Barons of the late 19th century like J.P. Morgan and friends.  They all had "Cottages" some with 16 bedrooms, but no kitchens because everyone was expected to dine at the "Club House" 


If all goes well we will be in Florida tomorrow.

  Greg

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of the lunch room...In traditional Greg Kelly style, I'm still using the brown paper lunch bag I started with in September. Somebody had to carry on with he tradition. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked at the map today. Going through Georgia must have been an adventure. There isn't a straight stretch on the ICW anywhere. Glad to know you are in Florida. We are going through a small Nor'easter today and tomorrow. Good old November weather on Cape Cod.

    ReplyDelete